Essential Roofing Maintenance Tips for the Homeowner
If you are new to home ownership, there is a lot to learn and one of the most important components of your home is the roof, which protects the structure against the elements. Roof maintenance is an essential part of building upkeep, and with that in mind, here are a few tips to ensure that your roof is always in good order.
- Regular Roof Inspections – You should have your roof inspected every few months, which would reveal any missing roof tiles and they can be replaced promptly. The inspection would reveal any other issues and quick repairs can be carried out before any damage is done, and your local roofing contractor can carry out the inspection on your behalf. Most homeowners will commission a roof inspection on an annual basis, which ensures that any issues can be rectified.
- Guttering – The guttering provides an essential escape route for excess rainwater and therefore it needs to be free of obstructions. When looking for gutter cleaning, Perth prices are very reasonable and they have special companies that clean every part of the roof, including the guttering and downpipes. Wet leaves and small twigs can easily cause a gutter blockage, which should be cleared as soon as possible, otherwise you will see rainwater running down your exterior walls.
- Fascia & Soffit – Usually made from timber, the fascia and soffit boards protect the roof line and the underside, and many homeowners replace these with PVC sections, which never need maintaining. You can choose some exciting colours that will boost the kerb appeal of your home, and with PVC there’s no need to paint. Timber fascia and soffit boards tend to warp over time, especially as they are exposed to strong sunlight for most of the year, and replacing them with PVC makes total sense in the long run.
- Flashing – This could be made from lead, copper or stainless steel and it protects the roof where different surfaces meet, and should it become damaged, this is something for a local roofing contractor to deal with. Stainless steel flashing can become dirty and can be cleaned at the same time as you have the guttering cleaned out, while the seals should be checked for leaks.
- Chimney – If you have a chimney, it will likely be above the roof line and can easily be damaged by storm debris, also the brick pointing can erode after a few years, so do keep your eye on the condition of the chimney.
- Storm Damage – Your roof can easily be damaged by flying debris during a storm, so after a bout of heavy weather, you are advised to take a quick look at the roof. Gale force winds can actually lift roof tiles, and should that go unnoticed, this could see the start of serious leaking.
Aside from roofing companies, there are firms that clean roofs using high-pressure water jets and they have a cherry picker to allow the technician easy and close access to all areas of the roof. With regular roof cleaning and inspections, any minor issues can be fixed before they become serious, and you will never receive a nasty shock when a serious roof repair is imminent.